Sunset History Cruise Aboard the Scuba South II
- June 6, Friday, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
- July 18, Friday, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
- August 1, Friday, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
- September 5, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
The North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport invites you to join us aboard the 52' Scuba South II to enjoy wine, cheese, and sunset on an evening cruise along the Cape Fear River. The boat will depart at 6:30, move along the river bluff past the "Sleepy little fishing village of Southport," the Quarantine Station, Bowensville, Price's Creek Lighthouse, and Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal. With time and tide permitting, Captain Strickland will return down river to skirt Battery Island, and enter the channel leading to the mouth of the Cape Fear River for a closer look at Smith Island and Fort Caswell. Participants will meet at the Scuba South II dock in the Old Yacht Basin, next to "Fishy Fishy Restaurant." $25 members/$35 non-members. Space is limited, to register and for further details call the Museum (910)457-0003.
3rd Tuesday Evening Adult Programs
Join the Museum for entertainment and education! Third Tuesday Evening Adult Programs put the spotlight on the best of the Eastern North Carolina, with experts sharing their stories, knowledge and humor.
Programs are free and held at the Southport Community Building unless otherwise noted.
For information and registration please call the museum on (910)457-0003. These events are supported by the Friends of the Museum.
2014 Presentation Schedule
- January 21: "Willing But Slow," The Wilmington, Brunswick & Southern Railroad with Mark Koenig - To be held at the old Visitor's Center, 113 W Moore St, Southport.
- February 18: The Marines of Montford Point: Fighting for Freedom with Dr. Melton McLaurin
- March 18: "Hello Girls!" Women and World War I with LeRae Umfleet
- April 15: Air Force One with Howie Franklin
- May 20: The Hidden Fortifications: Visiting the Remnants of Fort Anderson inside Sunny Point with Jim McKee
- June 17: War Zone - WWII Off the NC Coast with Kevin Duffus
- July 15: Paddy's Hollow: Sex and the Civil War with Dr. Chris Fonvielle
- August 19: Behind the Scenes: History of Film in North Carolina with Katie Edwards
- September 16: Membership and Volunteer Potluck
- October 21: Cape Fear Native Americans with Dr. Phil Garwood
- November 18: Celia Rivenbark!
2014 Historical Southport Bicycle Tours
The NC Maritime Museum at Southport has partnered with the Adventure Kayak Company to offer “Historical Southport Bicycle Tours.” The guided tour will wind through live oak canopied streets and along the waterfront, incorporating local history. Participants will pedal past Fort Johnston, homes of Pilots and Blockade Runners, the Brunswick Inn, and the Old Yacht Basin, where several movies have been filmed.
Saturday, March 22nd at 2 p.m.
Saturday, April 19th at 2 p.m.
Saturday, May 24th at 9 a.m.
Saturday, June 21st at 9 a.m.
Saturday, July 19th at 8 a.m.
Saturday, August 16th at 8 a.m.
Saturday, September 27th at 9 a.m.
Saturday, October 18th at 9 a.m.
Saturday, November 15th at 2 p.m.
Bring your own bicycle and helmet and join the fun tour. Fee is $20.00 or $25.00 including use of a bicycle and helmet. Limited number of bicycles available for rent.
All Historical Southport Bicycle Tours will meet at The Adventure Kayak Company located at 807 Howe St. in Southport and will take approximately 2 hours.
Pre registration and pre payment required. For more information or for reservation, please call The Adventure Kayak Company at 910-454-0607.